What is progress?
A nutshell guide in 6 easy steps
- A small group of smart people think up something that makes possible
unheard-of feats, or at least makes heard-of feats much easier
- Larger groups of smart people start using it
- As the device or method in question spreads, understanding the use of it
becomes a token of social status, and everybody wants it
- Commercial companies make lots of cash training people, or dumbing down the
invention, or both
- The innovation becomes fool-proof enough to be useless to experts, negating
its original purpose
- Go to 1
Computing is in stage 5 right now, the internet in stage 4.